Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Off Campus Adventures


Mom and dad came for a visit last weekend. They stayed for a night in the beautiful Guest House. They enjoyed leftover night in the dining room (always hit or miss, but turned out decent :-) and we played cards and shhh, drank wine in their room! The next day we gave them a tour of the farm and garden. We talked about what we do all day, what we are learning, what inspires us and what challenges us here in this life we live.

As I mentioned a while back, Green Gulch has a policy the new residents must stay on site for their first month. It may sound cultish to some but I have come to realize a few reasons for it. Given that transitions can be rough for some folks, present party included, not being able to just run off when things are uncomfortable is really saving us from ourselves. Yesterday marked the end of our month of lock down and after a visit from the parents we ventured to "the outside." We had lunch in Sausalito at Le Garage, French fusion of sorts. I had an amazing Kobe beef burger on ciabatta, holy cow! Then we head to San Rafael to relax at the rents' place and pick up some stuff we left behind. Then we had to run errands at Whole Foods, CVS, and Best Buy. It was totally overwhelming! Tons of people running in a million different directions, dumb songs playing, packed parking lots, traffic, oh my. The shock of going from the land of trees, ocean, mountains, mindful movement, quiet, small town life to life in the big city of all these strangers doing their thing kind of ignoring each other was a bit...weird. I don't know what else to say. I had a headache by the time I got home and had the feeling that I didn't want to do that again for a while...

But here I am visiting Lacey my bff at her new house in Berkeley. I think it will prove a bit more relaxing. A nice day off before my first one day sit!

No comments:

Post a Comment