Thursday, March 15, 2012

Garden "Potpourri"


I have some catching up to do but here are some very important tidbits of life as of late.
  • I love quails and when I am weeding quietly and calmly they will swarm around me as they make their funny sounds and peck for food
  • I had a very Lebowski moment the other day. Allow me to explain. When we are planting new things sometimes we use what's called nutrient amendments. This amendment consists of bone meal, feather meal, alfalfa meal and kelp meal. I mix certain proportions of each one. As you might imagine the bone meal is really ashy and dusty. I didn't realize how dusty until I scoop from one bucket to the other and a huge puff of bone explodes into my face and all over my jacket and pants. A travesty I assure you.
  • Tulips will continue to grow after you cut them and put them in a vase. What that means is your beautifully arranged bouquet may look a little off in a few days.
  • We got two inches of rain yesterday and the day before. It seems like so little but it was enough to turn the mellow meandering creek into a rushing raging river!
  • We have a large blue heron that visits the pond often. He also comes to the garden to walk around. This prehistoric amazing bird eats gofers, whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment